YYC Young Citizen Scientist Program
Imagine inspiring students to collaborate with real scientists. That's what this is about. There is no better classroom than in nature itself. The YYC Young Citizen Scientist program takes students into nature and contributes to real-world science documentation - information that can make a difference in our understanding of the natural world.
Our aim is to help teachers get students outside, making scientific observations in the natural world, and submitting these observations to assist the work of professional scientists.
Getting students involved in citizen science supports their learning in many ways. Some of these include:
- Strengthening their scientific literacy in both the scientific method and scientific observation skills
- Building on their natural curiosity to foster a connection to place, as well as a heightened interest in the natural world, leading to an increase in environmental stewardship
- Moving science outside of the merely theoretical, by contributing their work to meaningful scientific research that has real world impact
Green Calgary delivers the introductory in-class program, and the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) offers a further in-depth outdoor component. There are three YYC Young Citizen Science programs being offered: "Birds," "Bees," and "Butterflies, Moths, and Beetles." Please note our programs about insects are seasonal.
Our YYC Young Citizen Scientists program will come into your classroom, introduce your students to the fun world of Citizen Science!
For more information, contact our Green Kids Educator at email@example.com or call 403.230.1443x227.
- In-school program:
- We will follow government advice to ensure visits to schools are safe
- Materials will be sanitised between presentations
- Programs will be modified so students and presenters are distanced and not sharing materials
- If visitors are not allowed into schools you will automatically be signed up for a virtual program
- Live virtual programs:
- Live virtual presentation to a classroom of students
- Program materials can be delivered to schools and will be sanitised between programs (Calgary only)
- Pre-recorded programs:
- You will receive access to a pre-recorded video presentation.
- Activity sheets will be emailed to you
- Available for individuals and home-school audiences only.
Download a report about promoting Citizen Science from Nature Alberta HERE. This report contains links to many resources.
Other Citizen Science:
Pre- and Post- Program Activities and Resources