Winterize Your Rain Barrel
With all the cold and snow we're already getting in Calgary, we're fielding a lot of questions about how to prepare your rain barrel for winter. Well, never fear! We have your solutions here. Check out this video and our step-by-step after the video.
Single outlet barrels with a diverter kit:
1. Turn your barrel upside down & drain completely.
2. Store & secure your barrel for the winter. Ideally, move the barrel into a garage/shed, but if you are leaving it outdoors, store it upside down & secure it to prevent damage & water accumulating.
3. If you have our diverter, undo the white hose & attach the red winter plug that came with the kit.
4. Leave your downspout so that melting snow can drain away from your foundation.
Triple outlet barrels with a hose kit:
1. Remove the black hose & store it for next spring.
2. Turn your barrel upside down & drain completely.
3. Store & secure your barrel for the winter. Ideally, move the barrel into a garage/shed if you can, but if you are leaving it outdoors, store it upside down and secure it to prevent damage & water accumulating.
4. Reconnect your downspout to allow melting snow to drain away from your foundation.
Please note: If you already have frozen water in your barrel, put it out in the sun or bring it indoors to melt the ice, then follow the steps above. Hopefully, your barrel and plastic fittings haven't cracked. If there are very small cracks on the barrel, you may be able to use waterproof caulking to prevent leaks. If the plastic fittings have small cracks, store the barrel securely to prevent further damage and bring your barrel to one of our community sales next spring to see if it can be repaired.
If you have any questions, please email or call our EcoStore: 403-230-1443 ext 222. We're here to help!
KEYWORDS: winterize rain barrel, winterize rain barrels, winter rain barrel, winter rain barrels, winterize a rain barrel, winter a rain barrel