Winterize Your Rain Barrel 2019
Posted on October 1, 2019
It's that time of year again! If the snow last weekend was any indication, our water collection period is coming to an end and it's about time to winterize your rain barrel to avoid damage to the barrel. Here's how:
If you have a Rain Barrel with an overflow hose:
1. Remove the overflow hose & store it for next spring.
2. Turn your barrel upside down & drain completely.
3. Store & secure your barrel for the winter. Ideally, move the barrel into a garage/shed if you can, but if you are leaving it outdoors, store it upside down and secure it to prevent damage & water accumulating.
4. Reconnect your downspout to allow melting snow to drain away from your foundation.
If you have a Rain Barrel with a diverter kit (no longer sold by Green Calgary):
1. Turn your barrel upside down & drain completely.
2. Store & secure your barrel for the winter. Ideally, move the barrel into a garage/shed, but if you are leaving it outdoors, store it upside down & secure it to prevent damage & water accumulating.
3. If you have our diverter, undo the white hose & attach the red winter plug that came with the kit. If you have another brand of diverter, disconnect the hose and cover the hose attachment with something secure, like a cap, rubber chair leg cover, or similar. Make sure it's tight and won't be loosened by water.
4. Leave your downspout so that melting snow can drain away from your foundation.
Please note: If you already have frozen water in your barrel, put it out in the sun or bring it indoors to melt the ice, then follow the steps above.
If there are very small cracks on the barrel, you may be able to use waterproof caulking to prevent leaks. If the plastic fittings have small cracks, store the barrel securely to prevent further damage and bring your barrel to one of our community sales next spring to see if it can be repaired.
If you have any questions, please email or call our EcoStore: 403-230-1443 ext 222. We're here to help!