7 Green Renovation Tips for 2020
Posted on January 17, 2020
When undertaking a renovation, there are a few things you can do to make your renovation more environmentally friendly! The best thing you can do is make conscious decisions – plan out the renovation and look for alternatives where they exist. Often, there are eco-friendly options out there, but we just don’t see them! Here are some more tips:
- Do research. Look into the products you’re getting and what kind of environmental programs the business has in place. You can check various certifications, too, such as Forest Stewardship Council for wood and Canada’s EcoLogo program for eco-friendly products.
- Paint. Painting is an easy way to brighten up a home and the biggest issue are the volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in many paints. Look at labels and ask in the paint department for low-VOC paint, recycled latex paint, or natural paint.
- Repurpose & Reuse. Find new spots for old furniture, such as turning an old dresser into a new shelving unit. Check in thrift stores and online for used furniture that you can convert to your needs. Check out reclaimed wood or recycled materials for flooring, countertops, or to make shelving.
- Think Energy Efficient. Where appliances are concerned, look for EnergyStar certified appliances. Make sure new lighting fixtures use LEDs.
- Think Water Wise. Replace faucets and showerheads with low-flow devices. A simple and inexpensive way to make a huge difference on your water bill! Think about installing a rain barrel for your yard to cut down on watering in the summer.
- Landscape the Alberta Way. If your renovation extends to your garden, look into planting native species of flowers, trees, and grasses. Native species know how to make good use of Alberta’s water, are more hardy, attract local birds and bees, and are beautiful to boot!
- Hire a green designer or contractor. When you are looking to hire someone to help you out with your renovation, ask about their ideas for sustainability and using eco-friendly products!
If you want more tips like these, join our Executive Director, Nirmala Naidoo, this Sunday, January 19th at 1pm at the Calgary Renovation Show for "20 Steps to a Greener Home." You can find out more here!
These are just a couple of ways that you can be a little more sustainable in your renovation. What are your ideas? Share your own tips for green renovations with us on our social media accounts Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram!