5 tips for a Ghoulishly Green Halloween
Posted on October 26, 2015
You don’t have to dress up as David Suzuki to be environmental on Halloween. Here are 5 tips for a ghoulishly green celebration!
1. Use Natural things to decorate: Make a spooky scene with branches, leaves, and pumpkins!
2. Get creative: Make your own unique decorations by hanging string, sheets or cloths. You can also creep people out by putting strange things into jars, making crafts with scrap paper, and bringing out that houseplant you forgot to water. Google homemade Halloween decorations and costumes to find lots of inspirational ideas!
3. Green your party: If you’re having a party use re-usable cutlery, compost your food scraps and provide transit directions or carpooling suggestions to your guests.
4. Reuse or Borrow your Costume: Skip buying your costume this year by getting some friends together to do a costume swap. You could also check out a reuse store like Value Village, a consignment shop, or Kijiji. You’ll probably find something even scarier (and cheaper!) than at the costume store.
5. Get there Green: Walk, bike, take transit or carpool to your fave trick-or-treating spot! You may also wish to see if your local community association is putting on a Halloween celebration that you can just walk to!
Halloween is meant to be scary, but it doesn’t have to be scary for the environment too! Don’t forget when you’re cleaning up that The City of Calgary has a leaf and pumpkin drop-off until November 9th.