5 Things to Do Now That it's Spring!
Posted on April 28, 2018
We've been waiting for what seems like forever for the weather to get nice! But now that it's here, it's easy for us to forget that we had spring plans before the weather kept them from us! To get everyone back on track, and have the most of our very short spring, here are 5 things you should consider doing now that the weather has turned nice! Plus, it's Calgary, so we're likely to have a least one more spot of snow or rain before the end of May (so don't put away all your mitts and toques quite yet).
1. Do Some Spring Cleaning: As tempting as it is to just get outdoors and play, also take some time to consider cleaning your living space. This will make you feel good, as well as make your space more livable throughout the year! If you're getting rid of things and that includes books, it's the perfect time to donate your books to the Calgary Reads Big Book Sale, and keeping them out of the waste stream! This weekend and next week are the last chance to donate. For everything else, we had a blog about this a few years ago, but the advice still holds true. Check it out!
2. Get on the Bike: Getting outside and getting active is just what we want to do anyway, right? Biking is a great way to get outdoors, get some exercise, and leave the car at home! If you don't have a bike, you're in luck! Calgary is home to some great bike shops. You can also find bikes with our friends at Two Wheel View and support a local charity while you're at it! You could also engage in next weekend's Calgary Bike Swap to find a bike!
3. Prepare your Garden: It might still be early to be throwing things in the ground (depending on who you ask) but you can definitely start preparing for your garden or lawn. Considerations for your water, your compost, and your planting locations should already be in mind. You can get a rain barrel for your garden from us nearly every weekend through the end of June, plus you can come talk to us about compost, pollinators, and more! Check out the event calendar for the event nearest you. You could also come into our store, where we also have gardening books that you can borrow! The City is also starting their compost giveaways throughout May, if you want some of that product. We also wrote about some tips and tricks for your garden in the past. You can read up on that, too.
4. Enjoy Fresh Food: We're not quite at the point where you can eat things out of your own garden quite yet (although we had a tiny harvest of peas from our office garden tower this week), but there's a lot of great fresh produce coming into the city that's pretty local. Alberta hothouses and local farms are switching from cold weather standards to spring fare. Check out local farmer's markets, or you can order some fresh delivered stuff from SPUD! You can even donate to Green Calgary by ordering from SPUD. Check that out here!
5. Support your City: Whether this means doing a clean up with a local group, volunteering your time, or supporting local charitable programs, it's a great time to get involved! Many charities and not-for-profit organizations are looking for help, support, or even just an audience! This is also a great chance to get outside and get active! Keep your eyes on our social media for things that we'll be doing in the coming weeks, or come out to our Environmental Celebration next weekend to get some face-to-face time, and see our programs first hand! You can find out more here.
We hope this was a useful little list to get you started this spring! All of these points are just ways to connect with the nature all around you, and we genuinely hope you'll have some great connections! You can keep an eye on what we're up to over on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! Take care!