10 Reasons for Youth to Join Our Energy Revolution Fair
Posted on February 6, 2016
Do you know a young person with great ideas for the future? We’re inviting youth to create a project on the development of a renewable energy product, technology, or service for our first ever Energy Revolution Fair. Special thanks to our presenting sponsor Stantec, who believes in the value of our youth in building a more sustainable future! The competition is open to Junior & Senior Alberta High School Students. Why should they do it? Well, we have 10 good reasons!
1. A bright future: The future of our planet depends on renewables, and young people are going to get us there. Starting early in this industry will put youth a step ahead!
2. Teamwork: Projects are submitted in teams of 3 to 12. Both secondary education and the workforce call for teamwork, and collaborative thinking.
3. Application: It’s a great skill to take what you’ve learned and apply it in the real world. That’s what this competition is all about!
4. Mentorship: A teacher sponsor must support each team. Finding mentors in life is one of the best ways to grow and achieve goals.
5. Writing: Applications include a one-page description of the project. It will be important to learn how to write a good summary.
6. Presentation: Using a “Dragon’s Den” approach, each student team will have 3 minutes to present their project to a panel of judges. It’s important in life to explain ideas in a quick and simple way. You never know who you might bump into!
7. Networking: Meet new peers, possible mentors in the industry, and potential customers. The opportunities for new and exciting relationships are endless!
8. Creativity: Creativity and innovation are going to solve our global problems. Participants in this competition have the opportunity to think outside the box and use their unique talents.
9. Embracing Failure: We encourage youth to see failure as part of the creative process. What did they learn from it, and how can they improve for next time?
10. Fun: We want youth to have fun being passionate about their projects! The day of the fair will be exciting too, including green technology demonstrations, tours, & displays by various sponsors.
First place winners will receive $750, second place $500, and third place $250. Student teams selected by the judging panel will also be invited to attend special tours of renewable energy demonstration projects in Alberta. The application deadline is April 8th, with a fee of $20 per team. Full application details are available here!