Volunteer Opportunities: Volunteers extend Green Calgary’s reach in the Community!
Our volunteers provide the passion and enthusiasm that enables Green Calgary to empower Calgarians to create healthy homes and communities.
Skilled and committed volunteers represent Green Calgary at public events, provide administrative assistance, facilitate environmental education presentations, provide IT support, research and write for our different programs, and help out with annual celebrations and fundraisers.
Green Calgary's timely and effective programs support Calgarians of all ages in the creation of an environmentally clean and healthy community. Our roster of programs is a dynamic one, with new programs being added and existing programs expanded as the environmental needs and interests of Calgarians evolve. All of the Green Calgary programs rely on vibrant volunteers.
The amazing benefits of volunteering with Green Calgary include:
- Making a difference!
- Encouraging Calgarians to live sustainably.
- Increasing your own Environmental stewardship.
- Developing your knowledge and skills and sharing these with others.
- Meeting community members with similar interests and values.
- Having a great time!
Does this appeal to YOU?
If you'd like to share your unique gifts to support Calgarians in leading healthier, more vibrant, more environmentally sustainable lives, read on!
STEPS TO BECOMING A GREEN CALGARY VOLUNTEER
We're always looking for volunteers who can offer any amount of time to Green Calgary - once a week, a single evening, or somewhere in between. Just join us when you have time available, on your own schedule.
- Complete and submit a volunteer application form found HERE. Be sure to provide consent as Green Calgary will not be able to send you emails regarding volunteer opportunities, invitations to events, or newsletters without it.
- Following receipt of your form, we will contact you to arrange an in-person interview.
- We will add your name to the volunteer database and you can respond to the opportunities that are of interest to you. Volunteer Opportunity Emails are done on a monthly basis (you can ask to be removed at any time).
- Occasionally we have training sessions for specific program areas. Feel free to sign up for those that best fits your skills, interests and availability.
NOTE: Volunteer opportunities are open to residents of Calgary (and surrounding municipalities.) and for ages 18+ only. For opportunities outside of Calgary, AB or for youth opportunities please visit Volunteer Alberta or Volunteer Canada.
For more information on how you, your family, your friends, or your business can volunteer with the Green Calgary for community events, fundraisers and more, please contact:
Community Engagement Coordinator
 230-1443 ext 225
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Green Calgary has partnered with two of our favorite groups – Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association (HSCA) and the Horticultural Society to bring you an old fashioned harvest fair! This is a fun event where judges pick the tastiest jams, pies and pickles, award the biggest pumpkins and zucchini, and much more! There are many ways to get involved as a volunteer, and it can be as simple as putting up a poster at your office!
Volunteer shifts are below, start and ends times are flexible too, can you do a back to back shift – that’s great too – just let us know! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help out.
Sept 1-30th – Putting up posters, handbills at orgs/businesses in any of the quadrants NW, SW, NE, SE - 6 volunteers are needed per quadrant. We will supply the drop off list of businesses, but feel free to add to the list
TUESDAY SEPT 30TH – day before the event!
- 4pm-7pm (4:30 opening for submissions) set-up, receive entries, help w/ weighing BIGGEST categories - 3 volunteers needed
- 6:30pm-9pm (8:30 closing) receive entries, help w/ weighing BIGGEST categories, storing entries in safe room/fridge - 3 volunteers needed
WEDNESDAY OCT 1ST – day of the event!
- 10:30AM-2:00PM - set up tables, display entries, receive new entries - 3 volunteers
- 2:00PM - 5:30PM - assist judges - 4 volunteers
- 2:30pm-5:00pm or 5:00-7:30pm - Monitor visitors, greeting, exit surveys, take down - 2 volunteers per shift
- 2:30pm-5:00pm or 5:00-7:30pm - Town Criers (get out into the market and drive in foot traffic)/ Give Back Entries / Take Down - 2 volunteers per shift
3-5pm or 5-7pm - Photographer - 1 volunteer per shift
Green Cleaning booth at My Society Event October 23rd, 2014
“My Society Calgary is a ladies powerful social circle making positive change to their worlds from the inside - out!” Green Calgary is participating in this event to raise awareness about the importance of using non-toxic cleaning products. Volunteers will be helping sell products and aiding participants in making their own non-toxic all purpose cleaner.
Volunteers who are familiar with and passionate about non-toxic cleaning are ideal.
- WHERE: Pinebrook Golf and Country Club
- WHEN: October 23rd, 2014
- TIME: 6pm – 11pm
- RSVP: If you are interested and available, please respond as soon as possible to Chantal Eves via email - email@example.com or feel free to give her a call at 403.230.1443 EXT223. If transportation is a barrier to you volunteering, we can arrange assistance in getting you to and/or from the event. Please just let us know ahead of time and we will be happy to help you out!