Volunteers extend Green Calgary's reach in the Community!
Our volunteers provide the passion and enthusiasm that enables Green Calgary to empower Calgarians to create healthy homes and communities.
Skilled and committed volunteers represent Green Calgary at public events, provide administrative assistance, facilitate environmental education presentations, provide IT support, research and write for our different programs, and help out with annual celebrations and fundraisers.
Green Calgary's timely and effective programs support Calgarians of all ages in the creation of an environmentally clean and healthy community. Our roster of programs is a dynamic one, with new programs being added and existing programs expanded as the environmental needs and interests of Calgarians evolve. All of the Green Calgary programs rely on vibrant volunteers.
The amazing benefits of volunteering with Green Calgary include:
- Making a difference!
- Encouraging Calgarians to live sustainably.
- Increasing your own Environmental stewardship.
- Developing your knowledge and skills and sharing these with others.
- Meeting community members with similar interests and values.
- Having a great time!
Does this appeal to YOU?
If you'd like to share your unique gifts to support Calgarians in leading healthier, more vibrant, more environmentally sustainable lives, read on!
STEPS TO BECOMING A GREEN CALGARY VOLUNTEER
We're always looking for volunteers who can offer any amount of time to Green Calgary - once a week, a single evening, or somewhere in between. Just join us when you have time available, on your own schedule. Simply email email@example.com with your interest in volunteering with Green Calgary on a part time basis. We will then add your name to the volunteer database and you can simply respond to the opportunities that are of interest to you when emails are sent. This is done on a bi-monthly basis, and you can ask to be removed at any time.
Were you looking to make a greater impact, gain some work experience, and really engage with Calgarians? Do you have frequent daytime or evening, weekday or weekend availability, and are interested in committing to weekly or bi-weekly regular shifts for at least the next 6-months? Then read on and engage the city of Calgary as an Environmental Educator, a Waste Assessor, a Rain Barrel and Composting expert, or as a Healthy Homes volunteer.
- Complete and submit a volunteer application form found HERE.
- Following receipt of your form, we will contact you to arrange an in-person interview.
- Join us for a training session in the program area that best fits your skills, interests and availability (see training dates below in Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities or at right in Program Training & Orientations).
For more information on how you, your family, your friends, or your business can volunteer with the Green Calgary for community events, fundraisers and more, please contact:
Community Engagement Coordinator
 230-1443 ext 225
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Green Calgary's Rain Barrel and Compost Sales Events!
If you are looking for some easy ways to volunteer with Green Calgary - you just found it! The Rain Barrel and Composter Community Sales would be a great place to start and are the easiest to jump into as there is no experience required, other than a desire to help your fellow Calgarians get their GREEN on!
These Community Sales will be taking place in communities all over the City from May until August 2014, mostly on Saturdays, but some weekdays too. Here are the dates and locations where we need volunteers:
SATURDAYS ONLY 7:30am to 1:30pm
- May 10th - IKEA 8000 11 St SE
- May 24th - First Calgary Financial Shawnessy Suite 110-70 Shawville Blvd SE
- May 31st - First Calgary Financial TransCanada 510 – 16 Ave. NE
- June 7th - First Calgary Financial Oakridge 70 2580 Southland Dr SW
- June 21st - London Drugs Brentwood 3630 Brentwood Rd NW
- July 19th - First Calgary Financial South Trail Suite 400-4915 130 Ave SE
- July 26th - First Calgary Financial Beddington 8220 Centre St NE
- August 9th - First Calgary Financial Coventry Hills Suite 500-130 Country Village Rd
- August 16th - London Drugs Royal Oak 8888 Country Hills Blvd NW
WEEKDAYS - TIMES/DAYS VARY
- May 13th - Bentall Kennedy North Hill Mall 4-6pm
- May 20th - Bentall Kennedy Deerfoot Atria 4-6pm
- May 22nd - City of Calgary Water Centre 4-6pm
- May 27th - Bentall Kennedy Foothills 4-6pm
- May 28th - HSCA Farmers Market Booth 4-7pm (Education and selling only, no rain barrels)
- June 3rd - Bental Kennedy Livingston Place Parkade 4-6pm
- June 11th - HSCA Community Centre 4-6pm
There will be volunteer training and orientations provided prior to the events so that everyone feels well-equipped to play a knowledgeable role in support of these fundraisers. These will be held at the Green Calgary Offices at 100-301 14 St NW. The dates scheduled for these are:
Wednesday April 16th from 6pm to 7pm
Thursday April 24th from 6pm to 7pm
Monday June 2nd from 6pm to 7pm
Thursday June 5th from 6pm to 7pm
All you need to do is let firstname.lastname@example.org know what orientation you’d like to attend and what sale dates you can join us as a volunteer.
If you work for a company you think would be interested in offering a rain barrel and composter sale to staff let us know! Contact email@example.com for more details or to set up a sale.
Green Calgary Ambassadors Needed!
April is a busy month for many local companies who are looking to put together Earth Day events. As you can imagine, Green Calgary is asked to participate in these events ALL the time, and we need the help of volunteers like you to spread the word on all the good “green” work we are doing in the city, and how everyone can take part. We need volunteers with SOME experience with Healthy Homes and/or Rain Barrel and Composting to get in touch. The dates are:
- Wednesday April 23rd – 10:30am to 2pm Fifth Avenue Earth Day Fair (downtown)
- Thursday April 24th - 2:30pm to 5:30pm Calgary Immigrant Services
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help us out. Carpooling can be arranged too!
Green Calgary Cell Phone Collection at Community Clean Ups near YOU!
Green Calgary gets many requests for our participation at community clean up events around town, and we simply can’t be at them all (usually because we have a rain barrel sale the same day!). Some fabulous Green Calgary volunteers are coordinating the clean ups this year, and we couldn’t be happier – yay! They have been doing an outstanding job, but could use some helping hands to make this a bigger success. If you have any of the Saturday/Sunday dates available, or better yet, LIVE in one of these communities and can help out, we would be so grateful! This volunteer job can be A) a day at the Green Calgary table promoting the Rain Barrel & Composter Sales and cell phone collection, or B) cell phone collection box drop off and pick up before and after the event (you can determine what works for you for pick up/drop off times to fit your schedule). The dates we need some help are:
May 24th Oakridge SW
May 31st Kingsland SW
May 31st Marlborough NE
June 1st Panorama NW
Please email email@example.com if you can help out. Thank you!!!!