Please join Green Calgary to celebrate Earth Day on April 22nd!
Join us on April 22nd for the Green Calgary Earth Day Celebration and Fundraiser to celebrate the planet, our great city, and the people who make Calgary one of the best places in the world to live!
We have the pleasure of welcoming special guest speaker Bill Adams, VP of the Insurance Bureau of Canada, who will be exploring trends in extreme weather, what this means to Calgary’s businesses and the city, and will provide inspiration on how Calgarians can build strong and resilient communities and businesses through proactive preparation and mitigation.
Following speeches will be a memorable celebration where guests will enjoy fantastic local food, wine and beer, amazing live music, and a tempting line up of silent auction items.
We have so many amazing people to thank for making this event possible. We would especially like to thank our event sponsors, Excel Homes, Bullfrog Power, Bentall Kennedy, AspenClean, and Village Brewery for their support and commitment to community and sustainability in Calgary!
Thank you to all of our lovely friends and community partners for graciously donating to our silent auction: The Alberta Ballet, Calgary Opera, Hotel Arts, Spa Ritual, The Calgary Zoo, AspenClean, Village Brewery, Sidewalk Bakery, LinkedIn Events, Delta Hotels, and Leela Eco-Spa.
Tickets are on sale now and are 10% off for Green Calgary Members! 100% of the proceeds raised through the Earth Day Celebration go directly towards Green Calgary’s award-winning environmental education, programs and services.
Go to www.earthdayyyc.eventbrite.ca to reserve your ticket online or call Green Calgary at 403-230-1443 ext 226 to reserve your ticket on the phone.
Book your tickets early to reserve your spot at Calgary’s best Earth Day Celebration!
Green Calgary Opportunity: RAIN Home Consultant and Community Educator April to Fall 2014
In response to our city’s storm water management and flood risk issues, Green Calgary, in collaboration with Green Communities Canada, is launching RAIN: An ecological approach to stormwater management. Through hands-on home visit consultations and community education, the RAIN program offers education and direct support to Calgarians to manage storm water in their homes and communities, mitigate flooding risks, and reduce pollution in storm water entering the Bow and Elbow Rivers.
As a RAIN Consultant, you will assist homeowners in identifying storm water management issues and flood risks in their homes, and in prioritizing actions to reduce stormwater run-off while protecting their basements from seepage and flooding. As a RAIN Community Educator, you will represent Green Calgary at various community events and throughout the city to raise awareness of storm water management issues and flood risk factors and to promote the RAIN program and sign-up clients.
As the successful candidate for this position, you are able to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge, and attitudes:
• Excellent communications and customer service skills, including presentation and report writing, and a friendly, professional, mature, and encouraging disposition
• Organized, reliable, and able to work well independently and as a team member
• Relevant post-secondary education (building sciences, landscaping, or environmental sciences) and demonstrated ability to learn and apply new information
• Strong written communications and presentations skills, including technical report writing experience
• Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle
• Computer literacy, and strong skills with smart phones, office computing, internet, Excel spreadsheets. (Experience with Customer Relations Management software/databases a distinct asset)
• Willing and able to work Saturdays and occasional evenings.
• A police record check is required for this position
Assets would include:
• knowledge of stormwater issues and best management practices
• familiarity with community-based social marketing techniques
• home repair and construction knowledge
As the successful candidate, you will be available for one-week in-person training in early spring (April 30 to May 2) and for online learning prior to and following that week. Green Calgary will pay for training, travel, accommodations and meals during this time.
To apply for a position please provide a resume and cover letter outlining how your skills and expertise fit the requirements of the RAIN home visit program and explaining your interest in the position.
Thank you very much for your application. We appreciate your interest in the project.
Sustainability Series Presents: River to Tap
Saturday, March 22nd, 10am to 12pm
Join Green Calgary & The City of Calgary Water Services and experience the journey that a water droplet takes from the Bow River to the taps in your home. Celebrate World Water Day with this rare glimpse into Bearspaw Drinking Water Treatment Plant. City of Calgary Water Services staff will highlight how some of the cleanest river water in the world is treated to become safe drinking water. Learn about our unique Acti-Flow System and how this recent plant upgrade helped to prevent Calgary issuing a boil water advisory during the June 2013 floods. Discover why we should all value Calgary’s most precious resource and explore ways you can help to protect and preserve our rivers through actions in your own home.
Important Safety Information
• All participants will be required to fill out an Applicant Information Form, sign a Waiver of Liability and provide valid photo ID upon arrival for the tour.
• No cameras or pictures are permitted.
• The Bearspaw Water Treatment Facility is not wheelchair accessible.
• There is no age limit for this tour; however no strollers will be permitted into the plant.
• Unaccompanied minors will not be permitted access.
• Tours involve walking outdoors, so please dress appropriately for weather conditions and wear comfortable closed toe walking shoes.
• This is a fully operational plant and as such the tour may need to be cancelled due to emergency or other unforeseeable circumstance.
This is a free event however registration is required: www.rivertotap2014.eventbrite.ca
Bearspaw Drinking Water Treatment Plant,
10010 Bearspaw Dam Road NW
Join Our Board!
Green Calgary has served as Calgary’s leading environmental non-profit organization since 1978. It is a dynamic registered charity and social enterprise dedicated to providing the tools and resources Calgarians require to make positive changes that lead to healthier homes, workplaces, and communities. More information about Green Calgary is available at www.greencalgary.org
Green Calgary invites community leaders with a passion for a more sustainable city to join its Board of Directors. Board Directors are key organizational ambassadors for Green Calgary and are responsible for directing Green Calgary in the areas of organizational policy and governance, and strategic business planning.
As an ideal candidate, you will
• Demonstrate a passion for environmental sustainability and fostering resilience and sustainability in the City of Calgary
• Possess a track-record of active participation in the local community, preferably in a leadership capacity
• Be independent of the City of Calgary Administration or Council
• Possess skills in one or more of the following areas of: Marketing/Media/PR; Fundraising; Accounting and/or Risk Management.
• Prior board level experience with a non-profit organization is a distinct asset
The board meets at least 6 times a year on the fourth Wednesday of the month and each board member is asked to serve on at least one standing committee, which may include, but is not limited to:
• Revenue Development
• Marketing & Communications
• HR & Governance
This is a working board and therefore some reading and work outside of meetings is often required. Directors are expected to make a two-year commitment.
Submissions will be accepted until February 21st, 2014. The selection committee will contact those applicants selected for an interview no later than February 27, 2014.
Attn: HR Committee re: Board Recruitment
Green Calgary Association
#100, 301 - 14th Street NW
Calgary, Alberta T2N 2A1
Sustainability Series Presents: Organic Veggie Gardening for Beginners
Tuesday, March 18th 7-9pm
Calgary’s Healthy Homes program has teamed up with Adrian Buckley from Big Sky Permaculture to bring you a fun and informative evening of Organic Veggie Gardening for Beginners! Learn practical and step by step instruction to start your own organic veggie garden.
In this workshop we will cover:
• Site and soil preparation
• Choosing seeds and crops
• Starting seeds (indoor and out)
• Planning your garden
• Planting and maintenance
• Harvest time and storage
We know Adrian’s passion for plants and enthusiasm for all things seedy will leave you feeling inspired and prepared for the season ahead!
This workshop SOLD OUT last year so be sure to get your tickets early!
Tickets: $15 General Admission / $10 Green Calgary Members / Half Calgary Dollars Accepted http://www.organicveggiegarden.eventbrite.ca
Location: Hillhurst United Church 1227 Kensington Close NW
Green Employee Program!
*NEW* Green Employee Program!
Looking for ways to engage your employees in sustainable living? Sponsor your employees for a Healthy
Home Visit! Companies are often looking for ways to engage the community or provide volunteer
opportunities to their employees, by offering a home visit this can further engage employees in their
sustainable efforts. Home visits are a great “thank you” to green team members, as prizes for fun eco-
challenges and they’re an excellent way to demonstrate how your company’s corporate values align
with your employees’ interests and well being.
To learn more about our Green Employee Program please click HERE
To learn more about Healthy Home Visits please click HERE