Winter Fun in YYC, Part 2
Posted on January 23, 2016
We gave you Winter Fun, Part 1 late last year. But after all the holiday excitement, we're back with Part 2 because we haven't exhausted our list of winter fun in #yyc just yet!
1. YYC Hot Chocolate Fest: Don’t miss trying (and voting on) the unique signature hot chocolates made by participating yyc cafes in February. Even better, the festival supports Meals on Wheels!
2. Get Entertained: There are some awesome events to get out to in February. Check out the Calgary Folk Fest Block Heater Music Festival Feb 12-14, the Calgary Winter Carnival Feb 15, or the Chinese New Year Carnival Feb 20.
3. Snow Construction: Head outside and build more than just a snowman. Construct a fort (to protect you from oncoming snow balls) or try your hand at igloo crafting!
4. Curl Up with a Great Book: The cold is a great excuse to visit your local library or join a book club. The Arusha Center has a sustainability book club that meets each month, and Calgary Reads has a book club for kids!
6. Watch the stars: Visit the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory, just outside of the city, on one of their open house nights.
7. Bird Watching: There are lots of birds in yyc that don’t vacation over the winter. The Inglewood Bird Sanctuary or Fish Creek Park are great places to spot them, and both locations offer programs to learn more.
9. Explore downtown: Take advantage of the +15 in Calgary. Visit connected landmarks all in one day, such as The Calgary Tower, Central Library and Glenbow Museum. Make sure to check out public art along the way.
10. Drop in with the Kids & Learn Something New: Our Saturday drop ins return in February for kids (and parents too!) Activities, games, movies, and a great time to hang out and pick up a green idea or two!
With a milder winter, how can you not get outside and explore the outdoors! Enjoy the city and all that nature has to offer....got your own ideas to share? Tweet or comment your ideas right back.