Six Ways to Celebrate Calgary This Weekend
Posted on June 1, 2018
You might have heard us talking about 100in1Day already, or you might be hearing about it for the first time, but either way, it's an event you don't want to miss! Actually, it's 6 events you don't want to miss!
With the residents of 12 cities in Canada, and many more in the world besides, joining together to transform their city through hundreds of interventions - actions to reinvent and bring together communities - there's a lot to celebrate. 100in1Day has brought together groups of Calgarians to celebrate Calgary through 6 projects to make the city shine. You can check out one (or more) of them this Saturday, June 2nd! Some don't even need you to go far from home to participate! Here's what you'll find on Saturday:
The Amazing Trash Race; ALL DAY; No Location
- Using an app on your phone, you can record litter you pick up throughout the day, from wherever you want. The person who collects the most waste - and logs it! - will win a prize. Enjoy the flexibility, clean up your neighbourhood or a favourite park, and maybe win something! More info on how to do this can be found here: The Amazing Trash Race.
Art in the Park; 10am-12pm; Rotary Park, 617 1 St. NE
- Collect natural supplies and let your creativity soar with this fun activity for the whole family! Learn a little about how to keep the city green, enjoy the beautiful day, and then reconvene to make and share art pieces from nature! To find out more about this fun event, or contact the organizers, go here: Art in the Park.
Build-a-Bag with BBYYC; 10am-12pm; Green Calgary Offices, #100, 301 - 14th St. NW
- Boomerang Bags YYC is creating reusable cloth bags for people to borrow, share, and use at locations all across Calgary! No previous experience necessary! Learn some skills, make some bags, do something green, and have fun while doing it! More info and to sign up: Build-A-Bag.
Eco-Growth Biofuel Facility Tour; various Times; Eco-Growth, 115 28 St. SE
- Learn something new, see how biofuel is made, and check out all the cool equipment! If you want to learn more about biofuel, or just see something really cool, check it out! Tours are 45 minutes, with time slots at various times between 8:30 am and 3 pm. More info and registration here: Eco-Growth Biofuel Facility Tour.
The Strawless Saturday Challenge; ALL DAY; No Location
- Help show your support for going strawless through this fun social media campaign! Post pictures of your strawless drinks throughout the day, with the hashtags #TLCStrawlessSaturdayChallenge and #100in1DayYYC to join in! More info can be found here: The Strawless Saturday Challenge.
Sustainable Gardening at containR; 10am-12pm; containR, 1020 2nd Ave. NW
- Our own event for 100in1Day, we'll be at the beautiful containR space in Sunnyside teaching all about sustainable gardening. This includes demonstrations on vermicomposting, making seed bombs that you can take home, and helping you make your own upcycled planters. It's a great chance to help beautify your own home and your city, with help right there! Come by and see us! More info can be found here: Sustainable Gardening.
Those are the six projects happening for 100in1Day! You can follow along online with what's going on by checking the hashtag #100in1DayYYC. You can also keep up with this and all our other events, programs, and green news on social media by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. You can also sign up for our newsletter to get all of our news in one place. Thanks for reading and we'll see you out and about June 2nd!
Sign up for the Commuter Challenge, and let us know online with the hashtag #CommuterChallenge! It's easy to make a big difference!