Our Green Kids Program, 8 Ways!
Posted on August 27, 2016
One of the most important things we can teach our children is how to take care of the planet. Their future depends on a healthy & sustainable environment. Environmental education can help kids connect to nature too, which helps them be active & happy. In our Green Kids Program, students learn hands-on how humans and nature can exist in harmony. All of our presentations are designed with the Alberta Education's cross-curricular competencies in mind, so it’s easy to fit them into any learning plan. Here are the presentation and programs we offer for classrooms, home-schoolers and community groups:
1. Waste in Our World: This presentation has kids building a model landfill together, and looking at ways to divert waste!
2. Worms love leftovers: Give kids a peek into the amazing world of worms! These eco-heroes recycle organic waste, turning it into healthy soil!
3. Water for Life: Water supports life on our planet, and in this presentation kids build a model community to explore protecting this precious resource.
4. Clean Green: In Clean Green Kids looks at usual household cleaners and think about how their ingredients impact the environment and human
5. Garden Tower Projects: Get students building an indoor garden tower for your classroom! It’s designed to recycle food waste into compost that’s used to grow edible plants. http://www.greencalgary.org/green-kids/rain-barrel-garden-tower-projects/
6. Saturday Drop-in: Come by our office on Drop-in days to explore eco-topics with your kids, ages 3 to 10. We’ll have videos, hands-on learning activities, crafts & games! Our next sessions are coming up in November: http://www.greencalgary.org/green-kids/saturday-programs/
- Sat Nov 5th @ 11 am - 1 pm: Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose
- Sat Nov 19th @ 11 am - 1 pm: A Seed is Sleepy, Ecosystems & Life Cycles
- Sat Nov 26th @ 11 am - 1 pm: Water Cycle Wonders
7. Worms for a Week: Kids will love having wiggly guests in the classroom. Rent a functional vermin-composting bin for up to six weeks!
8. Green Streets: This is a larger school event that begins with a brief assembly on waste reduction and water conservation, followed by six hands-on stations run by our volunteers and staff. Students rotate through the stations experiencing many of our presentations in one!
But don't take our word for it - check out what teachers & kids say about our programs...