It's Back...Rain Barrel & Composter Sales!
Posted on April 23, 2016
Our Annual Rain Barrel & Composter Community sales are back! Now in its 17th year, we're proud that 1 in 3 Calgarians now owns a barrel. Rain barrels conserve water, save money, reduce the flow of contaminants and support flood mitigation. If you get a barrel from one of our sales, all proceeds go right back into providing eco-programs to #yyc! Here are 7 more things to know about our sales:
1) We’re coming to you! Over the course of 10 weeks we visit communities, from 9am-12pm, almost every Saturday. Here are the dates & locations, so you can see when we’ll be near you:
Sat April 23rd First Calgary Financial 400 – 4915, 130 Ave SE
Sat April 30th London Drugs 3630 Brentwood Rd NW
Sat May 7th First Calgary Financial 100 – 6520 Falconridge Blvd NE
Sat May 14th London Drugs 5255 Richmond Road SW
Sat May 28th First Calgary Financial 510 – 16 Ave NE
Sat June 4th RONA 90 Crowfoot Way NW
Sat June 11th London Drugs 8330 Macleod Trail SE
Sat June 18th London Drugs 3545 32 Ave NE
Sat June 25th First Calgary Financial 110 – 70 Shawville Blvd. SE
View maps and pre-order for sales here! Ps. We're also having a special Rain Barrel Sale with McKenzie Towne Council on Sun May 1st from 10 am to 2 pm. We've partnered with Enviroperfect Solutions (for this sale only) to offer their SoilPerfect turf management system that restores the microbes in your soil to help grow grass root systems.
2) Volunteers make it happen: The first thing our volunteers do is help unload up to 200 barrels per sale! They are super knowledgeable about the rain barrels and composters we offer, and help every customer to their car. Our volunteers get out of bed bright and early on a Saturday and bring a great attitude to our sales!
3) We love our sponsors: We partner with organizations that truly live their green values. London Drug’s Whats the Green Deal Program now tallies more than 77 million pounds of materials recycled, and their overall average waste diversion rate in their stores is 92%. Blue Grass Nursery & Garden Centre has a variety of their own sustainability initiatives, such as a "Recycle your Plant Pot” program, and they plant 100s of trees in #yyc every year! First Calgary Financial has been a sponsor for 4 years, invests in local charitable organizations and supports the sustainability and vibrancy of #yyc. Our sponsors are often at different sales providing information, draws, games, giveaways, coupons and more!
4) You can pre-order online: Up until noon of the Monday before every sale you can pre-order your rain barrel or composter online. We’ll put it aside for you to pick up, so it’s guaranteed to be there and you can skip the line!
5) You have options: We have a couple types of barrels and some accessories at all of our sales. You can check out our barrels and composters on our site before you head to a sale!
6) Recycle your old barrel: have a cracked barrel you need to recycle? Bring it to one of our sale locations with a small donation (sugg $10) and we'll make sure it gets recycled!
7) Return of the rain barrel selfie contest: when you tweet or post (on facebook) a selfie of you and your installed rain barrel between now and July 1st of this year, you'll get entered into a weekly draw for a $25 Blue Grass Gift Card. It doesn't even have to be one of our barrels but it does need to be installed and you've got to be in the pic as well.
Haven't been to a Rain Barrel & Composter sale yet but want to be a local rain harvesting champion? We hope you'll make it to one and get a chance to experience the great customer service from our amazing volunteers, meet our sponsors and start saving rain!