A Cdn Retailer Leading By Example
Posted on April 2, 2016
With April being Earth Month, we're pleased to once again be partnering with London Drugs as they celebrate an impressive 93% waste diversion rate for their Calgary stores thanks to their amazing recycling initiatives.
And they're not stopping with just their stores. They continue to extend their waste diversion efforts into the communities they serve, partnering with us for our community Rain Barrel & Composter Sales, and working with Community Associations to host Community Cleanups throughout #yyc. By encouraging community residents to responsibly recycle household items or donating goods to local charities, they're helping divert even more waste from our landfills.
Last year, London Drugs customers who dropped off their recycling contributed to over 11.5 million pounds of waste being diverted from landfills including 72,236 lbs of Styrofoam through their Bring Back the Pack Program.
Customers can recycle the following items anytime at any London Drugs location:
- Electrical and Electronic goods (TVs, VCRs, computers, monitors, printers, small appliances, etc.) are recycled through Global Electric Electronic Processing (GEEP) and e-Cycle. All electronic products are recycled back to their basic components before being shipped. London Drugs works diligently to ensure that our electronic recyclables are not shipped to sub-standard offshore facilities.
- Styrofoam is recycled through FOAM Only.
- Plastic and cardboard packaging from our products
- Cell phones, PDA and rechargeable batteries are recycled through Call2Recycle.
- Alkaline Batteries
- Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFL’s) and fluorescent light tubes up to 4-foot lengths
- Disposable cameras
- Ink jet & laser cartridges
- Metal film canisters
- Plastic bags, Brita filters, and insurance plastic folders
London Drugs also carries hundreds of products with environmental advantages as well. Their ‘What’s the Green Deal’ product signs in stores point out products that have environmental benefits – from recycled content to certified organic production – in order to help customers shop a little greener without having to go to specialty stores. To learn more visit greendeal.ca.
We think London Drugs has a great story to tell - demonstrating that a big retailer can play a leading role in reducing their environmental footprint and encouraging the communities they serve to do the same.