Be a Tourist in #YYC
Posted on July 23, 2016
Lonely planet describes Calgary as a complex place with, “single-origin home-roasted coffee, new bars, boutiques, restaurants and entertainment venues exhibiting color and experimentation.” Is that the Calgary you experience living here day in and day out? Sometimes we can overlook how wonderful our home is. That’s why we're challenging you to be tourists in your own city this summer #yyc! Staying close to home saves money, carbon emissions and supports the local economy, too. Here are some ideas for a #yyc vacation:
1. Sleep somewhere different: Make your staycation feel special by resting your head someplace new. Try camping out in your backyard, setting up a fort in the living room or even heading out to a campground or hotel in a different area of the city.
2. Eat like you’re travelling: Delve into the local cuisine of Calgary by going to restaurants you’ve never tried before. UNA pizza, REAP members and LEAF certified restaurants are great sustainable choices. And for those meals you don’t eat out head to local farmer’s markets for a real taste of Alberta.
3. See the sights: Is there a major Calgary sight you have yet to see? Your staycation is the perfect opportunity! Make sure you’ve checked out the Glenbow museum, Heritage Park, Calgary Zoo, Calgary Tower, Fort Calgary, The Bow, Chinese Cultural Centre, Military Museums, and Telus Spark.
4. Explore Our Walkable & Vibrant Neighbourhoods: One of the best parts of travelling is exploring a city on foot. Take an afternoon and head to a walkable community that’s new to you. Try the shops, food and parks in one of our revitalized communities like Inglewood, Kensington,4th Street, Marda Loop, 17th Avenue or Stephen Avenue.
5. Get to know Calgary's Parks: We're blessed with some of the most amazing parks in the country. Check out this interactive Calgary Parks map to find the best places to hike, bike, fish and more! The City of Calgary park highlights include children’s nature rrop-in programs, Music in the Park and bird watching courses.
7. Gaze at the night sky: Enjoy the warm nights by laying down a blanket in your backyard and watching the stars. Or for a perfectly clear sky, head out to the Rothney Observatory center on one of their open house nights.
8. Swimming: For some it’s not a vacation unless you spend some of it in a bathing suit. Head to one of the cities indoor or outdoor pools to splash around. http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Pools/Home.aspx
9. Tours: Most vacations involve a tour to learn more about the place you’re visiting. Make your staycation no exception by booking a #yyc food tour, brewery tour - Village Brewery does awesome ones, or walking tour!
10. Do nothing! Taking a vacation means you’re away from your normal day to day chores, devices and stress. So make sure you spend some of your staycation sleeping, laying out under the clouds, or reading books for hours.
There are just too many Calgary vacation ideas to fit in one blog, so stay tuned for Part 2 of Be a Tourist in #yyc next week!