Be a Tourist in #YYC Part 2
Posted on July 31, 2016
Last week we brought you 10 ideas for your staycation. #yyc is bursting with summer fun, so this week we have 9 more to add:
1. The music scene: Calgary has a happening music scene in the summer. Music Calgary and the Calgary Folk Fest are two organizations that will keep you updated on the musical talent coming through Calgary.
2. Outdoor festivals: Calgary has loads of festivals all summer, such as Fiestaval, Historic Calgary Week, Calgary International Blues Festival, Fringe Festival, Inglewood Sun Fest and Marda Gras Street Festival just to name a few!
3. Host your own BBQ/Potluck/Game Night: Got a great deck? Why not invite friends over for a laid back BBQ? Make it a potluck so you don't have to prepare everything and use re-usable plates, glasses and cutlery so you're not producing a whole bunch of waste. Or host a game night or outdoor party at a local park. Keep it casual (ie don't overthink the planning) and just invite your friends/family to have a good time! And sleep in the next day :)
4. Have a new experience: There are loads of workshops focused around sustainability, art and community in #YYC. You could create something beautiful at Wolf Willow Studio, learn about natural skin care with Neal's Yard Remedies or learn about gardening at a local garden centre like Blue Grass Nursery & Garden Centre.
6. Relax: Since you’re staying at home maybe you could splurge on cleaners during your vacation, head to a new workout class (there are lots of outdoor yoga options in #yyc), or book a trip to the spa. You could also just whip out your yoga matt for a relaxing stretch on your balcony, and take a long relaxing bath!
7. Go biking and picnic: Grab the bikes and head out along a stretch of Calgary’s extensive pathway network, keeping an eye out for the best pic-nic spot!
8. Make it new: Even if you have been to a Calgary landmark a million times, have you checked out what unique events they might have for a twist? Heritage Park has Captain Cruises with hors d’oeuvers and jazz, The Telus Spark has adults nights and the Zoo hosts early morning photography events for all levels.
Have a wonderful summer #yyc!