Be A Green Tourist In #YYC (Part 2)
Posted on August 17, 2015
Last week we featured ways to have a great stay-cation. But there were so many awesome things to do in Calgary, we had trouble fitting it all in one blog. So here's part 2!
1. Have Fun and Give Back: It’s a win-win deal when volunteering in #YYC, because you can do something fun and help out a deserving organization. Consider Grow Calgary, an 11-acre parcel of land just west of Canada Olympic Park, where you can drop in to help grow fresh produce for the Calgary Interfaith Food Bank. Or find other local opportunities on the Propellus volunteer database.
2. Let a Good Book take you Away: Spend an afternoon perusing the bookshelves at the Calgary Public Library; they offer great children's programming including story times and even some great adult programming, too, often for free or at very affordable prices! Or visit one of the many used book stores in town.
3. Go Back in Time: Grow your understanding of Calgary by experiencing a bit of its history at the Glenbow Museum, Military Museum, or Lougheed house.
4. Expand your Mind/Learn Something New: Have you tried out the amazing Telus Spark Science Center? Tons of family fun activities, or visit on the second Thursday of every month for adult night. There are loads of workshops focused around sustainability, art and community in #YYC. You could create something beautiful at Wolf Willow Studio, learn about natural skin care with Neal's Yard Remedies or check out our very own Sustainability Series where you can learn the art of canning, bread, or soap making!
5. Explore Our Walkable & Vibrant Neighbourhoods: Take an afternoon and explore the shops, food and parks in one of our revitalized communities like Inglewood, Kensington, 4th Street, Marda Loop, 17th Avenue or Stephen Avenue. You might stumble on some great events like Opera in the Village, “Generations of Music” at the Stephen Avenue Summer Stage, and the Calgary Pride Festival.
6. Check out the Summer Music Scene: Enjoy concerts and great shows? Music Calgary and the Calgary Folk Fest are two organizations that will keep you updated on the musical talent coming through Calgary.
7. Enjoy The Arts: Calgary Downtown has a great list of art galleries in #YYC where you can marvel at artistic talent from home and abroad.
8. Meet Up with New People: Meetups are a fantastic way to have fun with like-minded people and there's a meet up for all kinds of interests and pursuits. Here are the meetups currently focused around community and the environment in Calgary.
We hope we've inspired you to spend some of your vacation time in YYC. You'll not only help reduce emissions by avoiding long road trips and flights; you'll also save money, boost the local economy and build appreciation for the beautiful city we live in! Have some of your own ideas to share? Tweet or post your ideas.....