5 Ways to Thank the Planet this Thanksgiving
Posted on October 11, 2015
Thanksgiving is a great opportunity to have family and friends over for a meal to celebrate all the reasons there are to be grateful. Our beautiful planet gives us most of the essentials we need like water, food and materials for the things we use. Here are 5 ways you can show gratitude to our planet this Thanksgiving!
1. Use reusable cutlery: If possible, use cutlery, plates and serving dishes that you can wash and reuse again. Disposable plastic cutlery and paper plates take energy to produce & ship and end up in our landfills after just one use.
2. Get creative with the decor: Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday to go outside and gather up natural decorations. If you have children in your dinner party encourage them to make some decorative crafts with leaves, sticks and dried flowers from outside.
3. Buy local food/beer: Buying local means that there's less energy in transporting your food to your market. It’s harvest time, and there's plenty of farmer's markets and local produce available in your favourite grocery store. And the Village Brewery offers some great locally brewed beer options...
4. Enjoy the trip: Ask your guests to walk, bike or use transit to get to your meal. Provide a space for bikes (covered or secure storage like your garage) or provide links for the quickest transit lines that go by your house. If driving is the only option, see if you can arrange for some of your guests to carpool.
5. Compost your organics: When you’re all done eating, you don’t have to throw out everything you couldn’t get down. If you separate your food scraps, you can compost your vegetables and fruit into your composter or all of your organics into your bokashi bucket. Your garden will thank you!
Have some tips of your own to share? We'd love to hear them! We’re thankful the support you show us all year long #YYC. Happy Thanksgiving!