5 Fun Ways Your Family Can Learn About Calgary This Summer
Posted on July 20, 2018
There are a lot of fun activities, camps, classes, and events this summer for the whole family. Learn more about Calgary’s urban environment and have fun while doing it! If you’re looking for an event to fit in between other summer plans, we have some suggestions!
1. Bugs in Your Backyard: Green Calgary is presenting two bug observation walks this summer, on July 28th at St. Patrick’s Island and August 4th at Prince’s Island Park. $20 gets your whole family a chance to learn about local wildlife (buglife?) with an expert tour! Find out more and register here.
2. River Ambassador Eco-Float Trip: Riverwatch is hosting Saturday floats down the Bow River, with education on the natural history and stewardship of the river. This event is free (though a deposit is required) and, if the sold out weekends in the first part of July are any indication, extremely popular (for good reason)! Find out more and pick dates here.
3. Building Bee Homes: Green Calgary is hosting a pollinator workshop on two dates in August, August 24 and 31, at 3pm. In these workshops, you’ll learn all about local pollinator species, and then build a bee home to take home with you! The craft is perfectly safe for kids and lots of fun. A $10 ticket gets your whole family in. Find out more and register here.
4. Eco-fiendly Pets Workshop: Hosted by Central Bark and presented by Green Calgary August 18th, this class will teach you all about the greenest ways to reduce waste at home and make greener pet care choices. $10 per ticket. Click here to reduce your eco pawprint!
5. Parks Day & Creekfest: Friends of Fish Creek is holding its annual family celebration July 21st from 11am to 4pm! There will be tons of fun and educational activities, and Green Calgary will have a booth, too! The event is free to attend, so just come on down! More info here.
There you have it! Will you be attending any of these events? Do you know of other great ways to learn with your family this summer? Let us know on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! Have a great weekend!