10 Ways to have Winter Fun in #YYC!
Posted on November 21, 2015
There’s lots of green fun to be had this winter in #YYC! Staying close to home reduces emissions, boosts the local economy and saves you some cash. Here are 10 (mostly free!) things to do in Calgary this winter:
1. Tobogganing: There’s lots of fun to be had going downhill on a sled again and again. Check out The City of Calgary’s best Tobogganing locations.
2. Ice Skating: The City of Calgary has many free outdoor skating areas! Find one close to you on their website.
3. Cross country Skiing & Snowshoeing: Did you know golf courses across the city have cross-country skiing and snowshoeing trails in the winter? Some cost a small usage free. Check them out here.
4. Downhill Skiing & Snowboarding: Go downhill skiing or snowboarding right in the city at Canada Olympic Park!
5. Festival Fun: Did you know Winter Fest at Fort Calgary, starting Feb 15th, has free admission? There’s also the Chinese New Year Carnival, and Magic Arts Festival in February, too.
6. Music: The Calgary Folk Fest is having their first winter festival! Save the date for Block Heater from Feb 12th to 14th, or check out the Mid Winter Blues Fest later on in the month.
7. Museums and Exhibitions: Winter is a great time to check out Calgary’s indoor Museums, such as the Glenbow, Military Museum, Sports Hall of Fame or Aerospace Museum. Or head to the Science Center for their always-fascinating exhibitions and events!
8. Theatre: Be entertained this winter with live theatre. Check out Theatre Calgary’s performance schedule, or get tickets to the High Performance Rodeo, Calgary’s International Performance of the Arts Festival, going on in January. Don’t forget about the Evergreen Theatre for kids!
9. Horses and History: Get in the holiday spirit at Fish Creek Park, Spruce Meadows or Heritage Park. All have fun holiday events in November and December including sleigh rides, Christmas markets, and carols!
10. Volunteer: This time of year, many charities are looking for extra hands to keep people warm and fed. The Calgary Food Bank or Mustard Seed are great organizations to help out with.
We hope we’ve shown you there’s lots of fun to be had in #YYC this winter. We’d also love to see you at our Yuletide Open House, December 10th from 4-7pm. Join us for mulled wine, cider, hot chocolate, nibblies, music & crafts!